Updated: July 4, 2019
The Insight Improv Book
Insight Improvisation: Melding Meditation, Theater, and Therapy for Self-Exploration, Healing, and Empowerment, is a full-length book on Insight Improv that is available for free download as a PDF. Each chapter is also available to download separately.
Part I: Laying the Foundation — Meditation in ActionMeditation Active Meditation Authentic Movement Shared Vipassana Further Exploration with Meditation
Part II: Playing — Theater and Improvisation as MeditationNaked Improvisation Amplification The Three States Working with Text Storytelling Role Stream and Scene Stream Singing Further Exploration with Improvisation
Part III: Exploring — Drama Therapy as MeditationWhat is Psolodrama? Foundations of Psolodrama Warming Up to Psolodrama The Entryway to Psolodrama The Practice of Psolodrama Psolodrama Examples Troubleshooting Psolodrama Witnessing Psolodrama The Psolodrama Sharing Process Coaching Psolodrama Psolodrama Alone Further Exploration with Psolodrama
Part IV: Working — Insight Improv with Individuals and GroupsWorking with Individuals Facilitating Workshops Further Exploration with Insight Improvisation
Chapters in Other Books
Insight Improvisation has been described in other books on creative arts therapy, theater, and mindfulness:
- Gluck, J. (2018), Insight Improvisation: Integrating mindfulness and meditation with drama therapy. In D.R. Johnson and R. Emunah (Eds.), Current approaches in drama therapy, third edition. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas. Manuscript submitted for publication.
A web supplement for this chapter, including information on combining Insight Improv with other forms of creative arts therapy, can be found here.
- Gluck, J. (2013), Insight Improvisation in Thailand: Drama therapy meets vipassana meditation. In S. B. Linden (Ed.), The heart and soul of psychotherapy: A transpersonal approach through theater arts. Bloomington, IN: Trafford.
- Gluck, J. (2012), Mindfulness and drama therapy: Insight Improvisation and the transformation of anger. In L. Rappaport (Ed.), Mindfulness and the arts therapies. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Gluck, J. (2007), Insight Improvisation: Integrating meditation, theater, and drama therapy. In A. Blatner and D. J. Wiener (Eds.), Interactive and improvisational drama. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.
- Jung, S. (2014), Healing meditation and expressive arts. In I let myself heal [Naega naleul nasge handa]. Seoul, Korea: Shi Gong Sa.
- Schuchner, G. (2016), Meditation and dramatherapy. In S. Jennings and C. Holmwood (Eds.), Routledge international handbook of dramatherapy. London: Routledge.
- Webb III, T. (2018). Drama therapy as peer practice: Thirteen years of sharing and witnessing psolodrama. Drama Therapy Review, 4:2, pp. 199–208, doi: 10.1386/dtr.4.2.199_1.
- Jung, S. (2018). Individuals’ experiences of Insight Improvisation in Korea: Self-discovery, challenges and breakthroughs. Drama Therapy Review, 4:2, pp. 209–21, doi: 10.1386/dtr.4.2.209_1.
- Gluck, J. (2006, Spring). Psolodrama: Authentic movement meets psychodrama. A Moving Journal.
The original, full-length version of this article is available here (small edits were made prior to publication due to space considerations).
- Gluck, J. (2005, Winter). Insight Improvisation: Psolodrama. Dramascope.
- Psolodrama in Brief—Handout summarizing the practice of psolodrama. (Thai version: เกี่ยวกับ psolodrama)