Updated: Dec 29, 2020
The Insight Improv Book
Insight Improvisation: Melding Meditation, Theater, and Therapy for Self-Exploration, Healing, and Empowerment, is a full-length book on Insight Improv that is available for free download as a PDF. Each chapter is also available to download separately.
Part I: Laying the Foundation — Meditation in ActionMeditation Active Meditation Authentic Movement Shared Vipassana Further Exploration with Meditation
Part II: Playing — Theater and Improvisation as MeditationNaked Improvisation Amplification The Three States Working with Text Storytelling Role Stream and Scene Stream Singing Further Exploration with Improvisation
Part III: Exploring — Drama Therapy as MeditationWhat is Psolodrama? Foundations of Psolodrama Warming Up to Psolodrama The Entryway to Psolodrama The Practice of Psolodrama Psolodrama Examples Troubleshooting Psolodrama Witnessing Psolodrama The Psolodrama Sharing Process Coaching Psolodrama Psolodrama Alone Further Exploration with Psolodrama
Part IV: Working — Insight Improv with Individuals and GroupsWorking with Individuals Facilitating Workshops Further Exploration with Insight Improvisation
NEW—Current Approaches in Drama Therapy, 3rd Edition
Published in 2020, the third edition of Current Approaches in Drama Therapy offers a revised and updated comprehensive compilation of the primary drama therapy methods and models that are being utilized and taught in the United States and Canada. Two new approaches have been added, Insight Improvisation by Joel Gluck, and the Miss Kendra Program by David Read Johnson, Nisha Sajnani, Christine Mayor, and Cat Davis, as well as an established but not previously recognized approach in the field, Autobiographical Therapeutic Performance, by Susana Pendzik.
This highly informative and indispensable volume is structured for drama therapy training programs. It will continue to be useful as a basic text of drama therapy for both students and seasoned practitioners, including mental health professionals (such as counselors, clinical social workers, psychologists, creative arts therapists, occupational therapists), theater and drama teachers, school counselors, and organizational development consultants.
You can read an excerpt from the chapter here.
A web supplement for this chapter, including information on combining Insight Improv with other forms of creative arts therapy, can be found here.
Chapters in Other Books
Insight Improvisation has been described in other books on creative arts therapy, theater, and mindfulness:
- Gluck, J. (2013), Insight Improvisation in Thailand: Drama therapy meets vipassana meditation. In S. B. Linden (Ed.), The heart and soul of psychotherapy: A transpersonal approach through theater arts. Bloomington, IN: Trafford.
- Gluck, J. (2012), Mindfulness and drama therapy: Insight Improvisation and the transformation of anger. In L. Rappaport (Ed.), Mindfulness and the arts therapies. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Gluck, J. (2007), Insight Improvisation: Integrating meditation, theater, and drama therapy. In A. Blatner and D. J. Wiener (Eds.), Interactive and improvisational drama. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.
- Jung, S. (2014), Healing meditation and expressive arts. In I let myself heal [Naega naleul nasge handa]. Seoul, Korea: Shi Gong Sa.
- Schuchner, G. (2016), Meditation and dramatherapy. In S. Jennings and C. Holmwood (Eds.), Routledge international handbook of dramatherapy. London: Routledge.
- Webb III, T. (2018). Drama therapy as peer practice: Thirteen years of sharing and witnessing psolodrama. Drama Therapy Review, 4:2, pp. 199–208, doi: 10.1386/dtr.4.2.199_1.
- Jung, S. (2018). Individuals’ experiences of Insight Improvisation in Korea: Self-discovery, challenges and breakthroughs. Drama Therapy Review, 4:2, pp. 209–21, doi: 10.1386/dtr.4.2.209_1.
- Gluck, J. (2006, Spring). Psolodrama: Authentic movement meets psychodrama. A Moving Journal.
The original, full-length version of this article is available here (small edits were made prior to publication due to space considerations).
- Gluck, J. (2005, Winter). Insight Improvisation: Psolodrama. Dramascope.
- Psolodrama in Brief—Handout summarizing the practice of psolodrama. (Thai version: เกี่ยวกับ psolodrama)